Once you have satisfied the conformity assessment requirements for CE marking you must attach the CE marking to your product or its packaging. There are specific rules for using the CE marking for your product, as well as rules for the reproduction of the CE marking logo.
In general you should attach the CE marking to the product itself but it may also be placed on the packaging, in manuals and on other supporting literature. Rules covering the use of the CE markings vary depending on the specific EU directive that applies to the product and it is advisable to study the applicable guidance. The following general rules all apply:
• CE markings must only be placed by you - as the manufacturer - or your authorized representative
• the CE marking cannot be placed on products which are not covered by the relevant European directives
• when attaching the CE marking, you take full responsibility for your product’s conformity with the requirements of the relevant directives
• you must only use the CE marking to show the product’s conformity with the relevant directives
• you must not place any marking or sign that may misconstrue the meaning or form of the CE marking to third parties
• other markings placed on the product must not cover up the CE marking
The general principles of the CE marking are contained within Regulation (EC) No 765/2008 which sets the requirements for accreditation and market surveillance relating to the marketing of products.
Depending on the specifics of the directive that covers your product, you must make sure that:
• the initials ‘CE’ are in the standard, recognisable form
• if you reduce or enlarge the size of your marking the letters CE must be in proportion to the standard version
• the CE marking is at least 5 millimetres - unless a larger minimum dimension is specified in the relevant directive
• the CE marking is placed onto the product or to its data plate - if this is not possible or not warranted because of the nature of the product, it must be placed onto the packaging and accompanying documents
• the CE marking is easily visible, readable and permanent